Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Rise of the Charismatics


A few years ago my cousin commented that I sounded a lot like his pastor. I didn’t pay that much attention to that comment since from his youth my cousin has been and continues to be a die hard, straight up, no holds bard, shoutin Pentecostal with a capital ‘P’. When he told me that he recently moved his membership from one Pentecostal church to another, I have to admit that I didn’t take his pastoral comparison too seriously. Every so often he’d visit our church and say pretty much the same thing and after while I concluded that he was comparing the style not the content of our preaching.

But apparently my cousin was onto something else and insisted I meet with his pastor for lunch. I called, spoke with him and arranged to meet just so I could explain to my cuz, that though we sounded alike our content was quite dissimilar.
Well, once again I was wrong. Rev. Earl Wright is a straight up confessional 5 point Calvinist who also happens to be a reformed Pentecostal. Since meeting we’ve enjoyed great fellowship and even had a few worship services together. You can visit his churche's website here.

This coming weekend Pastor Earl is hosting the first annual Northeast Regional Conference of the Association of Reformed Charismatic Churches.
I attended their national conference last year and can testify to the love these brothers and sisters have for God’s truth and our Pentecostal brothers. If you’re in the Philly area please consider attending the conference. The conference theme is ‘The Sovereign Grace of God’. I’m scheduled to speak on Sat. July 12th from Eze. 37. Even if you can’t attend please pray for the conference and for ACRC as they attempt to proclaim the doctrines of God’s grace to the growing number of Pentecostal and Charismatic evangelicals.

To Him Who Loves Us...
pastor lance

No comments: